Sunday 27 April 2014

SLICE Evaluation Question 5

How did you attract/address your audience?
As mentioned in Question 4,  my thriller narrative has a similar narrative to "Mental".
Mental mainly attracted a young adult audience, this was due to the cast and names behind the production such as PJ Hogan, Toni Collette and Liev Schriber to name a few. Seeing as my thriller does not have the big names behind it I think it would attract the teenage due to age the main characters and their story.

To attract audiences to my thriller and to "get the word out there" I would first release a teaser trailer and upload this to YouTube. I would then tweet this video out with "hashtag's" relating to the different aspects of my thriller. This would spread my thriller to a range of people and not just those who follow me on twitter. 

Judging from the feedback I would have then made a descion on when to release the full trailer . Once releasing the full trailer on YouTube, I would then tweet out the trailer to the people who had some sort of responce ot the teaser trailer. The trailer for my thriller would be a lot more dramatic and would show many more cross cuts. I would include many more changes of colour showing footage and pictures with a black and white effect on them then change to footage and pictures with full colour. In my opening it is not clear there is a problem with the young girls' medication. In the trailer I would show the problem with one of the people who she holds dear changing around the medication required. 

I would plan for the release to be near the time of the London Film Festival. This is so my thriller would have a chance of being picked and presented at the BFI film festival. Film festivals attract many people of all ages therefore I may be able to attract people outside of my target age range too. One of the inspirations for my thriller (Mental) was also previewed at a film festival . The video below explains a little more about the London Film Festival and the atmosphere around it.

With the ever growing popularity of YouTube and it partners (YouTube partnership scheme) there are many vloggers and Youtubers around who talk about their general life. For the film festival I would invite some of them to view my thriller so they would be able to talk about my thriller if they thought it was good enough and worth talking about. Today more than ever, companies look to Youtubers to promote their product than other areas this is because they reach a larger audience of a younger age and are also well known and recognised on streets alike others in the public eye. There is an example of this, this example was not from the film festival but actually the premier of the spider-man film. In doing this, my thriller would be able to spread to more people due to the mass YouTube audiences. The second video is by the same YouTuber in the first video, this again is about the London Film Festival.


 I would go down this path if the film was chosen to be screened at the BFI London Film Festival.

If not the chosen for the film festival I would try something else for the general publicity. I would obtain the permits required then place posters around an area with directions and arrows, for people who chose to follow these directions and arrows they come across a stand and a screen showing snippets of the film to see if this catches anyone's interest. This would reach a lot of people and this combined with social media could help spread the word . I would also create all the necessary social media outlets to attract attention such as YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr etc. Before the cinema release I would upload small Q&As with the cast to increase the atmosphere around the thriller, the YouTube would also be open to the primary cast so that they can upload videos on their experiences with the film.

I would stagger the release by releasing the film in cinemas then when the cinema run is complete, there would be the online releases within one day. Depending on the online audience responce I would then release the film on DVD. For the online mediums, I would make it available to download on iTunes and make available for streaming on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment