Monday 28 April 2014

SLICE Evaluation Question 7

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

Just a few scenes and shots
then editing like robots
Match on action and the classic
"I've been waiting for you"
without the stroke of a cat
we had it in the hat.

Then onto some scenes
the most random of types
on a piece of paper 
with a dapper shoe lace tie
it ended with some walking
walking into a room
although it looked like stalking
even without a zoom

The camera captures your imagination
The process of a simple creation
Turmoil of a story
sometimes just as gory
From the start to finish
new skills i'll have to relish
with the good times and the bad
this time has been pretty rad!

Then it came to a remake
essentially a fake
opening to a movie
the costumes were quite groovy
it looked pretty simple
I found it was NOT!
The weather was a pain
and all it did was rain


The camera captures your imagination
The process of a simple creation
Turmoil of a story
sometimes just as gory
From the start to finish
new skills i'll have to relish
with the good times and the bad
this time has been pretty rad!

When deciding my shoot
I gave the large cast a boot
With a cast of three it made me see
how simple a small cast could be
Well,  I say simple, but it really was a pain
although not from the rain
I had learnt a lot from the past
and brought it into the future
I found my horizon was vast


The camera captures your imagination
The process of a simple creation
Turmoil of a story
sometimes just as gory
From the start to finish
new skills i'll have to relish
with the good times and the bad
this time has been pretty rad!



This is the first preliminary task I completed. This task outlined how to go about shooting footage for match on action and then the order or of the clips in order for this work in continuity. The second task with this preliminary was the footage and 180 degree angle for conversation 


A series of different shots from mainly playing to the accord of match on action. Match on action helps to give the footage continuity and also gives the footage the essence of a tense atmosphere as if the audience are walking into a trap of intense atmosphere and high action just before something big is revealed. This is one of the purposes, however for a more light hearted scene it could simply be for continuity, this could be used in a light hearted TV drama or a general soap opera. For the preliminary, I also experimented with different shots and different angles. These angles show the difference in a character but can also create tension as to what may happen next. In a group, we also filmed movements such as someone walking up and down the stairs.

The second preliminary which was more of an official preliminary a recreation of the opening titles to the film Reseviour Dogs directed by Tarantino. Through this I found how an opening could be created through very few shots, that opening, especially does not actually set up the narrative of the 
film but more introduces the characters, due to their stance there is an essence of the characters not being up to any good.
One main thing I learnt from doing this preliminary was to always plan ahead and have a plan B. During the first try at filming, one of the locations fell through last minute and some of the actors could not make the date of the shoot. Another problem I found with the filming was the weather. As most of the opening of Reseviour Dogs is on location outside, this became a recurring problem due to the rain. 

When considering the shooting for my thriller I tried to keep the cast as minimal as possible, this is because another problem faced was trying to find a date that would suit all people involved. Therefore I kept my cast to three people including myself. I also made sure of deciding more than one date for my scenes outside on location so if it was to rain I would be able to shoot the thriller another day. Luckily, the first date decided upon worked out as there was no rain on that day - however the clouds were covering the sun at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment