Sunday 27 April 2014

SLICE Evaluation Question 6

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product? 

When capturing the footage for this thriller opening I found the Camera was flimsy on the tripod, this meant I had to make sure it did not slide down or spin around. This was a main concern when filming holding the camera fairly high up near the curtain railing (this footage is not in the final cut)



 the light I had used to film was not a conventional camera light but it still had the same effect of providing lighting to the shot to make the movements visible. Something else I learnt from this project is the objects and mise en scen which are visible. When shooting the second location I had placed a calandar on the wall that would have hopefully given some indication to the young girls age. This is because the band shown in the picture have been together for more than 10 years - indicating the general fan age ranges from about 14 to some in their late 20s. However, the general media interpretation depicts the fans to range from 14 - 20 years old. This was all planned, but looking back on the footage I realised only the bottom of the calandar is seen, not the actual picture showing the band. Through this I learnt to be carefull of where mise en scen is placed and whether it is visible with the camera shot or not.


 Through this project I found the importance of where the camera is pointing and the difference the amount seen makes. In the picture to the left the actress looks more like a 16-17 year old whereas the picture on the right makes her look a lot younger. I also found the consideration of the angle of the light. In the picture on the left she generally looks like a normal teenager, however in the picture on the right, it seems as if something big will happen due to the shadow cast behind.

this was something that may have been used in the final cut but I did not end up using it. This is because I found it to suit more of a trailer atmosphere with the different colour changing lighting. 



To show the effect of the home video I added reverberation to the sound. This hinted at the video not being part of the actual life of the thriller but being watched by someone else or a thought by someone else. This project is the first time I have made use of this effect and I am happy with the effect. I first came across this effect when I was at a live music concert and technician had placed reverberation on the singers voice. However, considering the sound at the live concert and the change in sound when editing the video had a different effect. The effect of reverberation almost gives the sound the effect of an echo along a long tunnel but the sound does not repeat - although reverb is to make the sound seem like the video was filmed in a very small room where the sound has been absorbed by the walls, it gives the right effect for this part of the narrative.

Another effect I used was on the actual footage of the "home-video", this effect was called Wind Blur. This was to slightly blur the footage to further give the emphasis of the "home-video". Although most home-videos today are of a high quality, I used this blur to show someone else was watching this footage - this becomes apparent approximately a minute into the opening.

This was also the first project where I made use of colour correction  and changing the  colour to add effect. I experimented with the different effects and the difference a simple change of a shade of colour can be. My original footage was bright due to being shot in natural sunlight, to add a more mysterious effect I tuned the brightness down. Although I did like the effect it had I did not use the colour corrected footage, instead I used the original to further give the natural effect of a home video.

Apart from adding reverb to the audio of the footage I also included twsoundtracks both from website with royalty free music available for YouTube videos and school projects, called Purple Planet. For the first 20 seconds after the ident both soundtracks are played together but the happier soundtrack is slightly louder than the eerie soundtrack. The tracks I used were simple versions of tracks specifically made to underscore scenes, these range from 20 seconds- 30 seconds so I repeated the tracks adding in a cross fade to the audio to make it flow more precisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment